Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The End of Sympathy

No, I am not becoming hardened. I have a very good reason for that title. Mushu, the precious cat that he is, who coincidentally is spending much more time outdoors lately, has been fighting all week long with two mocking birds. that just happens to be our state bird for those trivia lovers out there. Anyway, I have pitied that poor innocent because it seemed that he was minding his own business and was repeated, viciously attack from above. It all started last week when he was in my white pine tree. It is a very good tree for him to play in. Well, I decided to inspect a little more closely. Sure enough there was a nest in there with three so ugly they were hatchlings in there. Suddenly I did not feel so sorry for the menacing cat anymore. He was threatening these poor birds babies. That just was not right. What do I do but run after my camera. I come flying back in there and just start to snap a picture when there is a swoosh and a high pitch shrill sound coming to join me in the small tree. I jump back having seen my brother attacked by blue jays one time. It was hilarious from a distance and another story altogether. But to be the spectacle and not the spectator is no fun at all. I got myself out of there like lightning. Mushu was not that quick. I really think he was the reason for the swoosh. They go after him even in the front yard. They did not forget his looks. Another cat vs. bird battle ensued. This time I was rooting for the birds. I actually was able to sneak back in later and get a couple of better pictures. I will try to get them from my camera and get them on here maybe tomorrow morning, stressing the maybe.
Threre is another post. Y'all never saw that coming did you?

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I thought the mosquito was the Arkansas state bird!

Washington Okie said...

Oh to spend a day in the life of Jason Mullins. Never a boring moment for those Razorback fans.

Jason Mullins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Mullins said...

Last night we had some people over in for burgers and hot dogs on the grill. About 8 o'clock the mosquitos showed themselves in full force even with citronella burning on three tiki torches. Officially the mocking bird is our state bird, realisticly it is the blood suckers that will carry you away.

Actually my lack of blogging over the last few months has been a result of chronic boredom syndrome. I just grasp for highlighting moments now to keep myself out of hot water. Bloggers can be so vicious.

About Me

My photo
In 2003, my wife Tabithia and I left our city home and embarked on an unexpected journey. Both of us have fulltime jobs outside of the home. When the work day is over we return home and begin working again. We have around 100 animals here. Many of which are owner surrendered or rescued. This 4 +/- acres of land that we call Fair Haven Farms is a little piece of heaven. Not everything is always grand, but we endure the negative and celebrate the highlights of our furred and feathered friends. The farm is available for travel. We participate in many educational programs. FHF also opens the barn doors for birthday parties and other events. Feel free to visit our Fair Haven Farm facebook page. We hope to see you soon. Until then may every day be FARMTASTIC!