Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ducky See...Ducky Doo...Lots of Ducky Doo...




Having Scooter in the house has been quite the adventure. Really it has not been bad. He has only started to make messes. Yes, piles of messes. Last night, though, I put him down on the floor. He never had one "accident" as we call it. Why we call something that comes naturally to an animal an accident I will never know. Anyway, that is all pretty easily cleaned. A little disinfectant and paper towel and we are as good as new. The floor is clean enough to eat off of again (GROSS!!). Scooter does not scoot now. It is quite a run that he does. The funny thing is when he is down, he takes every step you do. If you sit he sits. It is like a game of Simon Says (not American Idol, the old school game).



I had a really small water bowl for him and that was always getting overturned, etc. So I thought I would put in a larger one. I have heard that baby ducks not raised with their mama's should not get wet. They get the oils they need for waterproofing from her. So no baths for Scooter...or so I thought. The bigger bowl apparently screamed swimming pool. He can hop in and out like it was nothing. He splashed water everywhere. Hmmm...(rethinking this whole keeping the duck inside thing).
The first pic was still his first night of life. I just could not help but think of the M&M logo, "Melts in mouth not in your hands." That is sick. I could never eat an animal with a name, certainly not with a face. Last night we got in from the barn really late. We nuked some frozen chicken patties and made instant potatoes. Dinner in a flash. We topped it off with the left over jello mold from the other night. Anyway, in the process of preparing (you see how random my thoughts are and how quickly they can go in any direction...imagine what it must be like to be me) this wonderful meal, I dropped the chicken patties. I was just thankful it did not hit Scooter. Could you imagine the headlines...Duckling Killed By Falling Frozen Chicken? It was no where close to him and no where close to where he walks to my delight. It quickly became a place that he goes because the crumbs on the floor looked very appetizing (chicken patties removed). He really liked the crumbs though. He is one sick bird. He does not even know that was a cousin.
Tonight is a big night after Church. It is 31 cent scoop night at Baskin Robbins. You can purchase up t o 10 per customer. We are taking the youth to the mall and pigging out (I guess I am all about the animals these days). This is a nationwide thing. So if you read this (as if anyone does) and have a BR store nearby, 5-10 is discounted scoops. It goes to a good cause as well. I am supposed to getting Tabithia something for breakfast. We are grocery-less at home. Gotta go before I am sleeping in the duck box.


0 comments:

About Me

My photo
In 2003, my wife Tabithia and I left our city home and embarked on an unexpected journey. Both of us have fulltime jobs outside of the home. When the work day is over we return home and begin working again. We have around 100 animals here. Many of which are owner surrendered or rescued. This 4 +/- acres of land that we call Fair Haven Farms is a little piece of heaven. Not everything is always grand, but we endure the negative and celebrate the highlights of our furred and feathered friends. The farm is available for travel. We participate in many educational programs. FHF also opens the barn doors for birthday parties and other events. Feel free to visit our Fair Haven Farm facebook page. We hope to see you soon. Until then may every day be FARMTASTIC!