Friday, April 18, 2008

No Prejudice...

One thing I truly loved about Puerto Rico was something that was said by a tour guide. According to Mr. Sunshine (Sunshine Tours--he really had that type personality very positive. he was quite the tree-hugger though, very new age--paints with all the colors of the wind sort of thing--back to the story) there is no prejudice in Puerto Rico. One of the most degrading and divisive practices of society to me is prejudice. I cannot hate on the basis of color or culture or for an other reason. How can there be a Great Speckled Bird if there were no different tones of people? I heard someone try to blame our nation's problems on the influx of different nationalities. Last time I looked in the mirror I was clearly a cracker, not Native American. So I am, and so was the other person, a transplant. We came in on a boat! Maybe I just have wild melting pot ideas. I can see the All Nations Flag proudly waving in all parts of the world regardless of skin color.
Aside from talking to the trees, Mr. Sunshine had it right and so does Puerto Rico. Really I saw no hint of prejudice while there. There are Spanish, English, Spanglish, black, white, Hispanic and some all combined in one. It is such mixture that it is nearly impossible to separate one from the other. As for the talking to trees...I do feel like you can venture out into God's creation and revel in the beauty of it and worship the Mastermind behind it all. I also feel it does deserve respect. One must be careful treading through the Garden of God. We were sent to dress and keep. What an easy task that was preAdamic curse--no weeds! The diverse flora and fawna from one location to the next amazes me. Our imagination could not have contrived such complexity. His ways and thoughts are truly higher than ours. While I respect nature, I would rather hug people than trees.
Is this not the most different post I have ever come up with? Maybe it is the result of spring being in full bloom or maybe the fact that my garden is broken and near ready for planting. I don't know. I do love creation, but I love the Creator even more.
"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well" Psalm 139:14

2 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

Great post!

Jason Mullins said...

I had a horrific migraine that may have dug deep into my psyche for that post. I went on for three days. I think it was the worst ever. I went blind for a few seconds on Friday night then on Sunday I had a slight fever and could not even hardly breath. It was so strange. I still manage to preach at Pocahontas that night.

About Me

My photo
In 2003, my wife Tabithia and I left our city home and embarked on an unexpected journey. Both of us have fulltime jobs outside of the home. When the work day is over we return home and begin working again. We have around 100 animals here. Many of which are owner surrendered or rescued. This 4 +/- acres of land that we call Fair Haven Farms is a little piece of heaven. Not everything is always grand, but we endure the negative and celebrate the highlights of our furred and feathered friends. The farm is available for travel. We participate in many educational programs. FHF also opens the barn doors for birthday parties and other events. Feel free to visit our Fair Haven Farm facebook page. We hope to see you soon. Until then may every day be FARMTASTIC!