Friday, November 16, 2007

Oh That Cat...

As if it were not enough that the grandparents outgrew our home it now seems that the devilish feline who stays in our garage has decided that he should lay out all night, too. Wasn't that a long sentence and a very long story. He is of course a tom cat. He seems to have this needless desire to roam and roam defending his territory and of course hunting rodents.
I think the rodent part is great. We did not have any cats last year and the attic and garage were filled with mice. I purchased some "Shake-Away" online for $10. This product is scented like the...um...well...urine of a mouse's natural predators. One of which they had listed on the label was a bobcat. Now tell me how a city mouse knows what bobcat...um...well...urine smells like. I don't exactly live in town but not too far from it. There are no bobcats (that I have ever seen). But, the stuff seemed to work so I am not knocking it.
There is one ferocious light orange tomcat. You may have seen the picture I posted of him taking a nap by a mouse he had caught. This morning after Mushu did not come home, I went out looking for him. I just knew I would find him dead on the side of the road. I know that is how you mom and dads feel out there. There he was, not on the side of the road, rather he was in some tall grass at the edge of the field with his bum all up in the air shaking from side to side. he was getting ready to lunge on some unsuspecting animal. I allowed it and controlled my already brewing anger and went back inside. Moments later, Tabithia looked out and Mushu the Mischievous had once again brought his prey inside. I hate that. Were it dead, no big deal. This was a live rodent who was eager to escape its sadistic captor. He released the beast only enough to make it feel it was free, then would pounce on him. This went on only briefly when I heard a lot of pawing noise. Once again the cat lost a mouse in the junk in the garage. Augh!!!! Last year I had mice because there was no cat. This year I have a cat that brings them in and gives them a home. Is there "Shake-Away" for tomcats!
I had to go out and finish the job once again. I left him with the intact mouse which he later disemboweled. That is a beautiful feel good story. I know. I was so mad at him for being out all night. I provide him with a good home and he just lays out where ever in the cold. Kids these days have no respect, nor do cats. I could not help but pet and love on him though, especially when he starts that purring thing. He is so going to the vet for a little procedure though. Soon, very soon.

1 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

Poor Mushu is only doing what God created him to do. ~hee hee~ Great story!

About Me

My photo
In 2003, my wife Tabithia and I left our city home and embarked on an unexpected journey. Both of us have fulltime jobs outside of the home. When the work day is over we return home and begin working again. We have around 100 animals here. Many of which are owner surrendered or rescued. This 4 +/- acres of land that we call Fair Haven Farms is a little piece of heaven. Not everything is always grand, but we endure the negative and celebrate the highlights of our furred and feathered friends. The farm is available for travel. We participate in many educational programs. FHF also opens the barn doors for birthday parties and other events. Feel free to visit our Fair Haven Farm facebook page. We hope to see you soon. Until then may every day be FARMTASTIC!