Friday, September 21, 2007

Cat and Mouse Game





Last Wednesday, I had the garage (also known as Mushu's room) door open while the cat wandered around outside. It was about time to let the dogs out so I went out to see where Mushu was so that I could secure him. The cat and dogs have not met face to face yet and may never. The dogs love a chase and it is eminent that Mushu would give one. To my surprise I did not have to yell for Mushu to come in. He was there and acting very odd. Perhaps Ii should say acting odd for him. He typically is just a wee bit different. I had an old broken gourd laying in the floor. I kept it for seeds since it could not make a birdhouse. By the way if anyone would like such seeds I would be more than happy to send some. Back to the story. He began to move the gourd around becoming more aggressive with it as if there were something inside. The rougher he got, sticking his paws inside the holes, the more the gourd began to fall apart piece by piece. This disintegration began to reveal a very large mouse trying to escape Mushu inside the gourd. I immediately put the garage on lock down. The rodent could not escape. Mushu worked with the gourd until he could free the wretched little beast. He tossed it around a bit letting it run away. I have some places in there that could harbor such a fugitive if not carefully attended. I had to pull him out with a pair of pliers multiple times. There was something wrong with his back legs. He dragged them around. I rather suspect my feline had brought him to the house after much torture somewhere else. He has really become quite the hunter. he has killed at least two birds. Sadly it is the birds I have lured in with feed. I feel so guilty. There were times that Mushu was almost asleep and the rodent still alive. I thought there is no way that mouse was going to be loose in my garage. It looked like Mushu was praying, "Thank you, Lord, for this food that I am bout to receive. It probably took and hour for him to finish the job. He almost let him go at one point. He did not eat the mouse. I disposed of him before it got that far. He did not seem interested anyway. I treated him to a can of food.

Y'all, I will not be blogging after today for over a week. I will be in Hawaii!! God bless you all. I am sure I will have plenty of pictures when I get back. I hope the Cat and Mouse game will be enough until then.

1 comments:

Washington Okie said...

Hey, did you STAY in Hawaii or what? I think if I went back there I would stay there and not wanna come back. If you find a good hiding place let me know.

About Me

My photo
In 2003, my wife Tabithia and I left our city home and embarked on an unexpected journey. Both of us have fulltime jobs outside of the home. When the work day is over we return home and begin working again. We have around 100 animals here. Many of which are owner surrendered or rescued. This 4 +/- acres of land that we call Fair Haven Farms is a little piece of heaven. Not everything is always grand, but we endure the negative and celebrate the highlights of our furred and feathered friends. The farm is available for travel. We participate in many educational programs. FHF also opens the barn doors for birthday parties and other events. Feel free to visit our Fair Haven Farm facebook page. We hope to see you soon. Until then may every day be FARMTASTIC!