Thursday, February 21, 2008

Nearly Spring...


Aaaawww! It is just nearly springtime here, although today's artic blast would disprove that statement. It is very cold and windy. We actually had a freezing rain advisory earlier. It never materialized here. yesterday I went to Memphis to the orthodonist. Wait, let me clarify that statement. It was actually the orthodonist student. I have been accepted as a test patient for a nice fee in the University of Tennessee School of Orthodontics. For the next two years I will be undergoing severe torture to align my teeth. the main reason for my participation is my retained primary tooth. I still have a baby tooth. My dentist told me that is is likely that is would fall out someday...funny to me it has made it 31 years+. Anyway, my permanent tooth is in the gums still. The plan is to wire me up align my teeth, correct my bite and yes pull this tooth down into place with a gold chain. Of all colors for this chain to be it is a gold chain. I will have bling, gold for ornament in my mouth. This should be interesting.


What I feel is more interesting is the fact that students will be in my mouth doing all kinds of stuff...students. I either have such a high level of faith or stupidity. I am really not sure which. I just keep telling myself that I am someone's grade and they will pay close attention to detail. It is either pass or fail. But really whether they make an A or a C they are a doctor just the same. I hope my student is a straight A. We get assigned an intern/resident whatever they are called. I go back next week and start getting my brackets. I have spacers in right now that I think are spliting my teeth wide open. I am such a baby, I know. I am really too old for this.


The real problem is going to be the fact that they are going to pull my retained primary canine tooth. I will be a snaggle tooth for a while. I don't know what I will do about that. Oh me! I am not vain but I am becoming less and less through this experience. Humility...what a hard lesson to pick up sometimes.
I guess this experience does give me something to blog about. Perhaps I should post pics of my progress. Hmmm! Time will tell...

3 comments:

Jason Mullins said...

I tried to spellcheck this but it would not work for me. I m certain I did not get it all right. Sorry!

Vicki Smith said...

Ouch! I've "been there, done that." Actually for me, my primary canine tooth had come out but my permanent tooth was sideways up in my gum. The braces pulled all the teeth on either side away from the gap in hopes the permanent tooth would have room to come on down. Nope. They attached something to the tooth to urge it down, but it wasn't gold. This was when I was 15 years old. But braces aren't as painful as they used to be when they actually forced a band around each tooth which they then attached the wires to. Now they use glue. That would be SO MUCH better than forcing those bands up onto the teeth. I ate baby food for a week, at least! And if the spoon even TOUCHED a tooth I'd go into orbit. It was awful. At least you'll be spared that agony.

Momma Tammi said...

Yes please, post pictures!

About Me

My photo
In 2003, my wife Tabithia and I left our city home and embarked on an unexpected journey. Both of us have fulltime jobs outside of the home. When the work day is over we return home and begin working again. We have around 100 animals here. Many of which are owner surrendered or rescued. This 4 +/- acres of land that we call Fair Haven Farms is a little piece of heaven. Not everything is always grand, but we endure the negative and celebrate the highlights of our furred and feathered friends. The farm is available for travel. We participate in many educational programs. FHF also opens the barn doors for birthday parties and other events. Feel free to visit our Fair Haven Farm facebook page. We hope to see you soon. Until then may every day be FARMTASTIC!